Three dead in Sinai bombings

The Egyptian military has reported several operations against Islamist insurgents in the Sinai Peninsula recently.

al-monitor A man is seen riding his motorbike through a wall that was destroyed by an attack by Egyptian army the day before in a village on the outskirt of the northern Sinai town of Sheik Zuweid on Sept. 10, 2013 in Egypt. Photo by MOHAMED EL-SHAHED/AFP via Getty Images.

Dec 18, 2020

Explosions in the Sinai Peninsula have left at least three Egyptian soldiers dead.

Two roadside bombs exploded in the northern part of the peninsula, killing three members of Egypt’s security forces and wounding 10 more, The Associated Press reported Friday.

The explosions began Thursday night and took place at checkpoints in the town of Sheikh Zuweid near the Gaza strip. Egyptian security forces also conducted raids Thursday and killed four enemy fighters, the news agency said.

The Egyptian state has been fighting several Islamist armed groups in the Sinai insurgency since 2011. Both al-Qaeda and the Islamic State (IS) are among those fighting there. The military has not said who was behind the Thursday explosions.

The Sinai conflict has been an active one recently. Last week, the Egyptian military said it had killed dozens of fighters in Sinai since September. In November, IS attacked Egypt’s gas pipeline to Israel. Egypt’s conflict with the Islamist groups has also taken place in the capital, Cairo, this year.

Last week, Egyptian Defense Minister Gen. Mohamed Zaki said the state should increase development in the Sinai Peninsula to bolster security, according to the state-owned Al-Ahram news outlet.

Continue reading this article by registering at no cost and get unlimited access to:
  • Al-Monitor Archives
  • The Week in Review
  • Exclusive Events
  • Invitation-only Briefings