Skip to main content
Live Updates

Iran talks see momentum as Pakistani officials visit Tehran

Pakistan’s army chief, Asim Munir, has reportedly departed for the Iranian capital, while Doha dispatched a diplomatic team.

This handout photo released by the Iranian Foreign Ministry on April 25, 2026 shows Pakistan's Army Chief and Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir (R) meeting with Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi upon his arrival in Islamabad. US envoys headed to the Pakistani capital on April 25 in a bid to kickstart a new round of peace negotiations with Iran amid a fragile ceasefire, though the prospect of direct talks remained uncertain. (Photo by Iranian Foreign Ministry / AFP via Getty Images) / XGTY / RESTRICTED TO E
This handout photo released by the Iranian Foreign Ministry on April 25, 2026, shows Pakistan's army chief, Syed Asim Munir (R), meeting with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi in Islamabad. — AFP / Iranian Foreign Ministry

WASHINGTON — A flurry of diplomatic activity, including reported visits by Pakistani and Qatari officials to Tehran on Friday, is signaling possible momentum in efforts to reach a deal between the United States and Iran.

Pakistan’s army chief, Field Marshal Asim Munir, reportedly departed for the Iranian capital, where the country’s interior minister, Mohsin Naqvi, arrived earlier this week. Naqvi and Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi met Friday to discuss proposals to end the war, the semi-official Tasnim news agency reported. On Saturday, Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif will begin a four-day visit to China, a key diplomatic ally and trading partner of Iran. 

Pakistan has served as the primary mediator between the two sides, hosting one round of talks in mid-April. Qatar, which has previously brokered talks between Washington and Tehran, also dispatched a negotiating team to Tehran on Friday, according to Reuters.

The United States and Iran have exchanged multiple proposals to end the war, but major sticking points remain, including Tehran’s insistence on maintaining its nuclear program and control over the Strait of Hormuz.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, an Iranian official told Al-Monitor that “some new ideas and texts have been exchanged” between the two sides. 

“It can be only a basis for talks between Iran and the US. It does not mean a deal which can be announced,” the official said. 

Earlier this week, President Donald Trump said he called off planned strikes on Iran at the request of Gulf allies because “serious negotiations” were underway over a potential deal. On Friday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said there had been “a little bit of movement” in the talks with Iran, but that he did not want to overstate the progress. Rubio described Iranian efforts to create a toll system in the Strait of Hormuz as “not acceptable” and said the United States and its partners “have a plan B” if the waterway remains closed. 

“We have to start thinking about what we do if a few weeks from now, Iran decides we don't care, we're going to keep the straits closed,” Rubio told reporters on the sidelines of a NATO foreign ministers meeting in Sweden.

In a possible sign of progress, Iran appears to be allowing greater passage through the Strait of Hormuz, the critical chokepoint through which 20% of the world’s oil and LNG passed before the war. In a statement carried by its official Sepah News outlet, Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said on Thursday that 31 vessels, including oil tankers and container ships, had transited the strait over the past 24 hours. 

This developing story has been updated since initial publication.

Related Topics