Pentagon says US will not retaliate for Turkey in Syria
The United States will not take direct action in Syria despite a dramatic uptick in violence and calls for an immediate no-fly zone over Idlib, which would require the Pentagon to take out aircraft and airfields.
The US administration has ruled out retaliatory airstrikes in Syria after at least 34 Turkish troops were killed in an attack last week, Defense Secretary Mark Esper said today.
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley, the US military’s top officer, said today that the United States "doesn't have clear, unambiguous intelligence on who was flying which planes." But the deadly strikes took place at night, and Al-Monitor’s Amberin Zaman reported on Sunday that only Russian pilots have the capability to fly in Syrian airspace after dark.
Subscribe for unlimited access
All news, events, memos, reports, and analysis, and access all 10 of our newsletters. Learn more
Continue reading this article for free
Access 1 free article per month when you sign up. Learn more.
By signing up, you agree to Al-Monitor’s Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. Already have an account? Log in