For many years, the supporters in Israel of a two-state solution have warned that the alternative would be a binational state.
With the stagnation and hopelessness in regard to a two-state solution and the current violent outbreak linking Palestinians from the West Bank and Gaza to Israeli Arabs, one can say that the binational state is now here, or rather one state in which two nationalities clash. Not only have West Bank Palestinians lost the horizon of statehood, they have no real self-rule to speak of. For years, Israel has had security control over 97% of the West Bank territories, and now it has almost free entry to the remaining 3%: Palestinian cities. In addition, East Jerusalem is under siege by Israeli police and the Israel Defense Forces (IDF).