Skip to main content

Israel-Lebanon gas deal proceeds with TotalEnergies, Eni agreement

The agreement will allow the French and Italian energy companies to move forward with gas exploration off the coast of Lebanon.
JACK GUEZ/AFP via Getty Images

Israel signed an agreement with TotalEnergies and Eni today following its maritime border deal with Lebanon that was signed last month.

What happened: The French energy company TotalEnergies and the Italian energy company Eni signed a deal with Israel to begin energy exploration in Block 9, which lies within Lebanon’s territorial waters. The exploration “might” extend into Israel’s waters, according to a TotalEnergies press release. 

TotalEnergies owns 60% of Block 9 and Eni owns the remaining 40%. 

What it means: Israel and Lebanon signed a US-mediated agreement on their long-disputed maritime border last month. The deal stipulated where each country can conduct energy exploration. Israel can also reportedly claim a percentage of Lebanon’s future profits from any gas found in the area. 

Why it matters: Israel has been extracting and exporting gas from the eastern Mediterranean for years. Lebanon, which is experiencing an energy crisis, could benefit greatly from its own domestic gas supply. However, it will likely take years for Lebanon to start pumping gas. Widespread corruption and weak governance could also hinder these efforts. 

Israel and Lebanon have technically been in a state of war since Israel’s independence in 1948, but the sea border deal could lead to working relations between the two countries. 

Know more: The London-based energy company Energean announced a new gas discovery off the coast of Israel in November. The gas is not in the disputed area. 

Join hundreds of Middle East professionals with Al-Monitor PRO.

Business and policy professionals use PRO to monitor the regional economy and improve their reports, memos and presentations. Try it for free and cancel anytime.

Free

The Middle East's Best Newsletters

Join over 50,000 readers who access our journalists dedicated newsletters, covering the top political, security, business and tech issues across the region each week.
Delivered straight to your inbox.

Free

What's included:
Our Expertise

Free newsletters available:

  • The Takeaway & Week in Review
  • Middle East Minute (AM)
  • Daily Briefing (PM)
  • Business & Tech Briefing
  • Security Briefing
  • Gulf Briefing
  • Israel Briefing
  • Palestine Briefing
  • Turkey Briefing
  • Iraq Briefing
Expert

Premium Membership

Join the Middle East's most notable experts for premium memos, trend reports, live video Q&A, and intimate in-person events, each detailing exclusive insights on business and geopolitical trends shaping the region.

$25.00 / month
billed annually

Become Member Start with 1-week free trial

We also offer team plans. Please send an email to pro.support@al-monitor.com and we'll onboard your team.

What's included:
Our Expertise AI-driven

Memos - premium analytical writing: actionable insights on markets and geopolitics.

Live Video Q&A - Hear from our top journalists and regional experts.

Special Events - Intimate in-person events with business & political VIPs.

Trend Reports - Deep dive analysis on market updates.

All premium Industry Newsletters - Monitor the Middle East's most important industries. Prioritize your target industries for weekly review:

  • Capital Markets & Private Equity
  • Venture Capital & Startups
  • Green Energy
  • Supply Chain
  • Sustainable Development
  • Leading Edge Technology
  • Oil & Gas
  • Real Estate & Construction
  • Banking

Start your PRO membership today.

Join the Middle East's top business and policy professionals to access exclusive PRO insights today.

Join Al-Monitor PRO Start with 1-week free trial