Skip to main content

Eurovision bosses to consider if Israel should take part amid boycott threats

By Olivia Le Poidevin

GENEVA, Dec 4 (Reuters) - National broadcasters behind the Eurovision Song Contest meet on Thursday to discuss whether Israel should be barred from participating next year, amid threats by some to pull out over the Gaza war.

The meeting in Geneva marks a watershed moment for the competition which draws millions of viewers worldwide.

The Spanish and others national broadcasters have threatened to boycott the event if Israel is included, citing the death count in Gaza, and accused it of not following rules meant to guard the contest's neutrality.

The European Broadcasting Union (EBU) logo stands outside its headquarters ahead of a General Assembly meeting to debate and possibly vote on Israel’s participation in Eurovision 2026, in Geneva, Switzerland, December 3, 2025. REUTERS/Denis Balibouse

Italy says Germany and other countries may be interested in GCAP jet programme

ROME, Dec 4 (Reuters) - Italy's defence minister on Thursday said other countries, including Germany and Australia, may be interested in entering the GCAP fighter jet programme in the future, with requests also coming from Saudi Arabia and Canada.

The GCAP, which currently involves Italy, Britain and Japan, is an effort to build a next-generation fighter by 2035 and is being led by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries in Japan, BAE Systems in Britain and Leonardo in Italy.

Italy's Defence Minister Guido Crosetto looks on during an interview with Reuters, in Rome, Italy, April 14, 2025. REUTERS/Remo Casilli

Iraq freezes funds of Hezbollah and Houthis, official gazette says

BAGHDAD, Dec 4 (Reuters) - Iraq will freeze the money of Iran-backed armed groups, including Lebanon's Hezbollah and Yemen's Houthis, the official gazette said.

The move will likely be welcomed by Washington, which has long sought to reduce Iran's influence in Iraq and other countries in the Middle East where Tehran has allies.

Hezbollah fighter walk near a military tank in Western Qalamoun, Syria August 23, 2017. REUTERS/Omar Sanadiki

Israel awaits return of last hostage remains from Gaza

Israel awaited the return of the last hostage remains held by Palestinian militants in Gaza, as the military said on Thursday that those of a Thai national had been identified after they were handed over.

Under the first phase of the US-brokered ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, militants were due to return all 48 hostages they held captive, 20 of whom were still alive.

All but the remains of Israeli Ran Gvili have since been handed over, though Israel has accused the Palestinian militants of dragging their feet on returning bodies.

Israel has accused Hamas of dragging its feet on returning the remains, while militants say bodies are buried under vast piles of rubble

UN Security Council says ready to support Syria on first-ever visit

A United Nations Security Council delegation made its first-ever visit to Syria on Thursday, pledging the international community's support for the country days before the anniversary of Bashar al-Assad's ousting.

"We reiterated our clear support for sovereignty, unity, independence and territorial integrity of Syria," Slovenian UN ambassador Samuel Zbogar told a press conference in Damascus.

A United Nations Security Council delegation pledged the international community's support for Syria days before the anniversary of Bashar al-Assad's ousting

Eurovision members debate call to boycott Israel

Israel's participation in the Eurovision Song Contest will be debated at a two-day meeting of member broadcasters in Geneva starting Thursday, following calls to exclude the country over its Gaza war tactics.

Countries including Iceland, Ireland, Spain and the Netherlands, have threatened in recent months to pull out of the 2026 contest if Israel takes part.

Others, including Belgium, Finland and Sweden, have also indicated they were considering a boycott over the situation in Gaza.

If Israel is excluded, it would not be the first time a broadcaster is barred

China to provide $100 million humanitarian aid for Gaza, Xi says

BEIJING, Dec 4 (Reuters) - China will provide $100 million in aid to the Palestinians to help alleviate the humanitarian crisis in Gaza and support reconstruction efforts, President Xi Jinping said on Thursday.

Xi was speaking at a joint press conference with French President Emmanuel Macron after their meeting in Beijing.

(Reporting by Ethan Wang and Joe Cash; Editing by Himani Sarkar)

Chinese President Xi Jinping attends the 7th formal meeting of the Franco-Chinese Business Council in Beijing, China, on December 4, 2025.     LUDOVIC MARIN/Pool via REUTERS

Israel identifies body of returned hostage, remains of Israeli officer still in Gaza

Dec 4 (Reuters) - Israel has identified the remains of the hostage it received from Hamas on Wednesday as Thai agricultural worker Sudthisak Rinthalak, the prime minister's office said on Thursday.

The body of Israeli police officer Ran Gvili, the last of the living and deceased hostages to be returned, is still in Gaza.

The handover of the last hostages' bodies in Gaza would complete a key condition of the initial part of U.S. President Donald Trump's plan to end the two-year Gaza war.

People hold images of dead hostages Ran Gvili and Sudthisak Rinthalak, whose bodies haven’t been returned yet, as Israelis attend a rally calling for the immediate return of the remains of all hostages held in Gaza, more than two years after the deadly October 7, 2023, attack on Israel by Hamas, at the Hostages Square in Tel Aviv, Israel, November 29, 2025. REUTERS/Nir Elias

How an oil pipeline battle shows the US gaining sway in Iraq

By Ahmed Rasheed, Maha El Dahan, Humeyra Pamuk and Anna Hirtenstein

BAGHDAD/WASHINGTON, Dec 4 (Reuters) - Iranian drones swept through the mountain air of northern Iraq's Kurdistan region in mid-July, homing in on their targets: oilfields run by Americans.

Fired by an Iranian-backed militia group within Iraq, likely in retaliation for U.S. strikes on Iran's nuclear sites weeks earlier, one struck the Sarsang field operated by HKN Energy, a company owned by the son of Texas billionaire Ross Perot.

Another hit a nearby field run by Dallas-based Hunt Oil.

FILE PHOTO: Boys sit on the Iraqi-Turkish pipeline in Zakho district of the Dohuk Governorate of the Iraqi Kurdistan province, Iraq, August 28, 2016.  REUTERS/Ari Jalal/File Photo