Phil and Cooper record their first remote podcast due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with a focus on recent political intrigue in Israel. After three rounds of elections, there may finally be a successful attempt at forming a new Israeli government, with opposition leader Benny Gantz having been tasked with building a coalition. But sitting Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has his own ideas, and he’s using the coronavirus outbreak as a political cudgel. Al-Monitor contributor Ben Caspit joins us remotely from Israel to discuss this and more.
- Episode #78, Honey I Shrunk My Coalition (11/29/2018): Phil, Cooper, and Danny Zaken discuss Netanyahu’s political majority falling apart after the departure of Avigdor Liberman along with threats of other cabinet members leaving.
- Episode #95, Breaking Benjamin (4/12/2019): The first round of elections are called by Netanyahu in an attempt to hold onto power in the face of impending indictments.
- Episode #101, Panic! At The Knesset (6/7/2019): Netanyahu fails at forming a majority government and calls snap elections for September.
- Episode #113, Déjà-Yahu (9/20/2019): The second round of Israeli elections in 2019 show Gantz barely leading Netanyahu, but always signals another political stalemate.
- Episode #120, Gantz Hardly Wait (12/6/2019): After failing to form a majority government for a second time, a third round of elections are called in Israel.
Music: Reines Girls - “We’ll Stay Friends” (Spotify)