The Israeli war in the Gaza Strip, sparked by Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack on southern Israel, has entered its second month. The death toll has reached 10,328, including 4,237 children, the Hamas-run Ministry of Health said on Tuesday. More than 25,000 others have been injured, the ministry says, as the humanitarian situation continues to deteriorate.
The prospects of a cease-fire remain dim after the United Nations Security Council failed again on Monday to agree on a resolution on the Israel-Hamas war. "We talked about humanitarian pauses and we’re interested in pursuing language on that score,” Washington's deputy ambassador to the United Nations, Robert Wood, told reporters after the meeting. Other council members are calling for a complete cease-fire.
Almost 1.5 million people have been internally displaced in Gaza since the start of the war, according to the UN. Israel urged citizens to move to the southern part of the Gaza Strip ahead of its ground invasion. The Israel Defense Forces said on Tuesday that a corridor had been established for Gazans to flee and shared videos showing groups of civilians waving white flags as they headed south.
"The IDF has once again opened a corridor to evacuate civilians from the northern part of Gaza to the southern part," the IDF account posted on X. The Hamas Information Ministry responded, "The [Israeli] army rounded up dozens of Palestinians who asked to evacuate to the south and photographed them in a humiliating way to argue there is a flow of refugees to the south.”