Skip to main content

Saudi sovereign wealth fund to create decarbonization company

Saudi entities have also announced green hydrogen projects in recent weeks.
MIKE NELSON/AFP via Getty Images

The Saudi Public Investment Fund announced yesterday it will establish a company focusing on decarbonization. 

The sovereign wealth fund owns 80% of the Regional Voluntary Carbon Market Company, while the Saudi Tadawul Group Holding joint stock company owns the other 20%. The company will help businesses reduce carbon emissions, the official Saudi Press Agency reported. 

Why it matters: Saudi Arabia is one the biggest oil producers in the world, as well as one of the Earth’s biggest carbon polluters. Oil is a major driver of economic growth in the kingdom. 

At the same time, Saudi Arabia is seeking to reduce its dependence on oil and has invested in an array of renewable energy and green technology projects this year. 

Saudi entities are particularly interested in green hydrogen. Most recently, Saudi Arabia’s ACWA Power pledged to develop green hydrogen in South Africa. In August, the Saudi construction firm Alfanar signed a deal to build a green hydrogen facility in Egypt

Know more: The Saudi Public Investment Fund has been pursuing an active investment strategy this year, recently pouring its money into Egyptian state-owned firms, luxury cars, major US companies and more. 

Join hundreds of Middle East professionals with Al-Monitor PRO.

Business and policy professionals use PRO to monitor the regional economy and improve their reports, memos and presentations. Try it for free and cancel anytime.

Free

The Middle East's Best Newsletters

Join over 50,000 readers who access our journalists dedicated newsletters, covering the top political, security, business and tech issues across the region each week.
Delivered straight to your inbox.

Free

What's included:
Our Expertise

Free newsletters available:

  • The Takeaway & Week in Review
  • Middle East Minute (AM)
  • Daily Briefing (PM)
  • Business & Tech Briefing
  • Security Briefing
  • Gulf Briefing
  • Israel Briefing
  • Palestine Briefing
  • Turkey Briefing
  • Iraq Briefing
Expert

Premium Membership

Join the Middle East's most notable experts for premium memos, trend reports, live video Q&A, and intimate in-person events, each detailing exclusive insights on business and geopolitical trends shaping the region.

$25.00 / month
billed annually

Become Member Start with 1-week free trial

We also offer team plans. Please send an email to pro.support@al-monitor.com and we'll onboard your team.

What's included:
Our Expertise AI-driven

Memos - premium analytical writing: actionable insights on markets and geopolitics.

Live Video Q&A - Hear from our top journalists and regional experts.

Special Events - Intimate in-person events with business & political VIPs.

Trend Reports - Deep dive analysis on market updates.

All premium Industry Newsletters - Monitor the Middle East's most important industries. Prioritize your target industries for weekly review:

  • Capital Markets & Private Equity
  • Venture Capital & Startups
  • Green Energy
  • Supply Chain
  • Sustainable Development
  • Leading Edge Technology
  • Oil & Gas
  • Real Estate & Construction
  • Banking

Start your PRO membership today.

Join the Middle East's top business and policy professionals to access exclusive PRO insights today.

Join Al-Monitor PRO Start with 1-week free trial