Skip to main content

Sudan's RSF claims arrests as UN warns of 'horrendous' atrocities in Darfur

Sudan's paramilitary Rapid Support Forces said they had arrested several fighters accused of abuses during the capture of El-Fasher, with the United Nations demanding an investigation Friday into the "horrendous accounts" of atrocities emerging from the city.

At war with the army since April 2023, the RSF seized El-Fasher on Sunday, dislodging the army's last stronghold in the western Darfur region after an 18-month siege marked by bombardment and starvation.

A photo released by the RSF purportedly shows its members detaining a fighter known as Abu Lulu (L) who was seen in execution videos from El-Fasher

As the guns fall silent, Gazans find newly-reopened banks have no cash

By Nidal al-Mughrabi

GAZA/CAIRO (Reuters) -The ceasefire in Gaza has eased the trauma of Israel's air strikes and blockade but a shortage of cash has left Palestinians unable to spend what little money they have without falling victim to wartime profiteers.

Banks, many damaged or destroyed along with homes, schools and other institutions across Gaza during two years of war, began reopening on October 16, six days after the ceasefire was announced. Queues soon formed but people came away disappointed.

Palestinian women queue outside the Bank of Palestine amid a cash shortage, in Nuseirat, in the central Gaza Strip, October 27, 2025. REUTERS/Mahmoud Issa

After delays, Egypt set for lavish opening of grand museum

With much pomp and circumstance, Cairo is due to inaugurate on Saturday the long-awaited Grand Egyptian Museum, widely presented as the crowning jewel on authorities' efforts to overhaul the country's vital tourism industry.

With a panoramic view of the Giza pyramids plateau, the GEM houses thousands of artefacts spanning more than 5,000 years of Egyptian antiquity at a whopping cost of over $1 billion.

More than two decades in the making, the ultra-modern museum anticipates five million visitors annually, with never-before-seen relics on display.

Egypt's long-awaited Grand Egyptian Museum will finally have its lavish inauguration on Saturday

Latvian parliament votes to quit convention protecting women

By Andrius Sytas and Janis Laizans

RIGA (Reuters) -Latvia’s parliament voted on Thursday to quit an international treaty aimed at combating violence against women, after a conservative partner in the ruling coalition broke ranks to support the move in defiance of both the prime minister and president.

The Istanbul Convention, established by the Council of Europe and signed by dozens of member states, defines violence against women as a violation of human rights and addresses various forms of gender-based violence.

FILE PHOTO: Latvia's prime minister, Evika Silina, attends the Euro Summit in Brussels, Belgium, October 23, 2025. REUTERS/Yves Herman/File Photo

Saudi chases AI ambitions with homegrown firm pitched to global investors

Powered by its sovereign wealth fund of nearly $1 trillion, Saudi Arabia is backing its new AI firm Humain, entering a highly competitive sector some fear is a bubble ready to burst.

The company, launched in May, is bankrolled by Saudi's powerful Public Investment Fund, which has played a key role in financing the kingdom's so-called gigaprojects -- major developments aimed at boosting and diversifying its oil-reliant economy.

Saudi capital Riyadh hosted the Future Investment Initiative conference featuring heads of state and members of the global business elite

Gaza aid delivery surges since ceasefire, but more NGO access needed: UN

More than 24,000 tons of UN aid has reached Gaza since the start of a ceasefire earlier this month, a UN official said on Thursday while calling for NGOs to be allowed to assist in its distribution.

While aid volumes are significantly up compared to the period before the ceasefire, humanitarians still face funding shortfalls, the UN says, as well as issues coordinating with Israeli authorities.

Gaza is still in the grip of a dire humanitarian situation following many months of deadly fighting that has devastated critical infrastructure

'Better to go to prison': Israeli ultra-Orthodox rally against army service

Tens of thousands of ultra-Orthodox Jewish men rallied in Jerusalem on Thursday to protest against military conscription in their community, an issue that has caused a major strain in Israel's right-wing ruling coalition.

The vast crowd were demonstrating to demand a law guaranteeing their right to avoid Israel's mandatory military service -- long promised by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Crowds of men set fire to pieces of tarpaulin as hundreds of police officers cordoned off several roads across the city, AFP correspondents reported.

The mass demonstration follows a recent crackdown on ultra-Orthodox draft dodgers

Jerusalem gridlocked as ultra-Orthodox protest military conscription

JERUSALEM (Reuters) -Tens of thousands of ultra-Orthodox Jewish protesters streamed to Jerusalem on Thursday in a show of force against military conscription, a hot-button issue placing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's coalition under increasing political strain.

The debate over mandatory military service, and those who are exempt from it, has long caused tensions within Israel's deeply divided society.

Ultra-Orthodox Jews take part in a "million man" protest against Israeli military conscription in Jerusalem October 30, 2025. REUTERS/Ammar Awad

Turkey's Erdogan to Merz: does Germany not see Israeli genocide in Gaza?

ANKARA (Reuters) -Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan slammed Germany over what he said was its ignorance of Israel's "genocide", famine and attacks in Gaza, at a joint news conference with German Chancellor Friedrich Merz in Ankara on Thursday.

Erdogan said Israel had nuclear and other weapons with which it was using and threatening Gaza, adding Palestinian militant group Hamas had none of those. He said Israel had once again attacked Gaza in recent days despite a ceasefire in the enclave.

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz shake hands as they attend a press conference at the Presidential Palace in Ankara, Turkey, October 30, 2025. REUTERS/Umit Bektas