Skip to main content

Names of 5 million of 6 million Jews killed in Holocaust now identified

By Steven Scheer

JERUSALEM (Reuters) -Five million of the more than six million Jews killed in the Holocaust have now been identified, and with the further help of artificial intelligence (AI), even more names could be recovered, Israeli researchers said on Monday.

Yad Vashem, the World Holocaust Remembrance Center in Jerusalem, said the milestone marks seven decades of work and is at the heart of its mission to recover the identities of those murdered by the Nazis during World War Two.

Visitors tour an exhibition, ahead of Israel's national Holocaust memorial day at Yad Vashem, the World Holocaust Remembrance Center, in Jerusalem April 23, 2025. REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun

ICC prosecutors probing reports of mass killings in Sudan's al-Fashir

THE HAGUE (Reuters) -International Criminal Court prosecutors said on Monday they are collecting evidence of alleged mass killings and rapes after paramilitary Rapid Support Forces seized al-Fashir - the last stronghold of the military in Sudan's Darfur region.

The ICC has been investigating alleged genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity committed in Darfur since 2005 when the case was first referred by the U.N. Security Council, long before the current civil war erupted in 2023.

Displaced Sudanese gather after fleeing Al-Fashir city in Darfur, in Tawila, Sudan, October 29, 2025, in this still image taken from a Reuters' video. REUTERS/Mohamed Jamal

Iran's Supreme Leader says cooperation with US not possible while it backs Israel

DUBAI (Reuters) -Cooperation between Iran and the United States is not possible as long as Washington continues to support Israel and to maintain military bases and interfere in the Middle East region, Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Monday.

Khamenei's comments came as President Donald Trump's administration seeks to increase pressure on Iran.

Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei speaks during a meeting with students in Tehran, Iran, November 3, 2025. Office of the Iranian Supreme Leader/WANA (West Asia News Agency)/Handout via REUTERS ATTENTION EDITORS - THIS PICTURE WAS PROVIDED BY A THIRD PARTY.

Turkey hosts ministerial meeting on Gaza ceasefire, next steps

By Tuvan Gumrukcu

ISTANBUL (Reuters) -Foreign ministers from several Muslim-majority countries will meet in Istanbul on Monday to discuss the fragile Gaza ceasefire, as Hamas and Israel trade accusations of violations and talks continue on forming a force to monitor the truce.

The foreign ministers of Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Pakistan and Indonesia are set to join the meeting to discuss the ceasefire and humanitarian situation in Gaza, a Turkish foreign ministry source said on Sunday.

Destruction in Gaza can be seen through the fence of Kibbutz Nahal Oz, near Israel's border with Gaza in southern Israel, October 28, 2025. REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun

Violence in Sudan's El-Fasher could be war crimes, says top court

The International Criminal Court warned on Monday that atrocities committed in Sudan's El-Fasher could amount to crimes against humanity and war crimes, as the UN said that thousands had fled a neighbouring region where paramilitaries have turned their focus.

According to United Nations figures, more than 36,000 civilians have fled towns and villages in the Kordofan region between October 26 and last Friday, while the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces warned it was amassing along a new front line.

Civilians who fled Sudan's El-Fasher last week, with the frontline now shifting to Kordofan

Red Cross head says 'history repeating' in Sudan after reported killings

By Timour Azhari

RIYADH (Reuters) -The head of the Red Cross says history is repeating itself in Sudan's Darfur region after reports of mass killings during the fall of thecity of al-Fashir to the Rapid Support Forces paramilitary last week.

The RSF's capture of al-Fashir – the Sudanese army's last holdout in Darfur – marked a milestone in Sudan's civil war, giving the paramilitary force de facto control of more than a quarter of the country's territory.

A general view of people sitting at a camp for displaced families who fled from al-Fashir to Tawila, North Darfur, Sudan, October 27, 2025. REUTERS/Mohammed Jamal

Turkey, Muslim allies say Palestinian self-rule key to Gaza future

Gaza's future must be Palestinian-led and avoid any new system of tutelage, Turkey and six of its top Muslim allies said Monday after talks in Istanbul.

Turkey, which played a central role in forging the now shaky three-week-old ceasefire, is pushing for Muslim nations to bring their influence to bear on the reconstruction of the embattled territory.

Turkey has accused Israel of seeking excuses to break Trump's truce

Haunted by war, some Israelis hesitate to return to kibbutz attacked by Hamas

By Andrew MacAskill

NAHAL OZ, Israel (Reuters) -Avishay Edri wants to move back to the kibbutz he evacuated in southern Israel after it was attacked by Palestinian gunmen two years ago, but is hesitating as fears persist that the war in nearby Gaza will resume and it will not be safe.

Edri, 41, has happy memories of raising his four children in Nahal Oz, just a few hundred metres across potato and sunflower fields from the border with the Gaza Strip.

Sprinklers water fields in Kibbutz Nahal Oz in southern Israel, October 30, 2025. Hamas gunmen killed 15 people from Nahal Oz and took eight more hostage to Gaza on October 7, 2023. REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun

Turkey set to rally Muslim allies over Gaza war

Turkey will on Monday canvass peers in the Islamic world to bring their influence to bear on the future of Gaza, as fears grow for a just weeks-old truce.

The October 10 ceasefire in the two-year-long Israel-Hamas war, brokered by US President Donald Trump, has become increasingly fragile, tested by continued Israeli strikes and claims of Palestinian attacks on Israeli soldiers.

Turkey has accused Israel of seeking excuses to break Trump's truce

Powerful 6.3 quake kills at least 10 in Afghanistan, scores injured

By Angela Christy M

KABUL (Reuters) -A 6.3-magnitude earthquake struck near the northern Afghan city of Mazar-e Sharif early on Monday, killing at least 10 people and injuring about 260, authorities said, with the death toll likely to rise.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the quake hit at a depth of 28 km (17.4 miles) near Mazar-e Sharif, which has a population of about 523,000.

A man walks past debris lying on the ground at the shrine known as the Blue Mosque following an earthquake in Mazar-e Sharif, Afghanistan, in this still image obtained from social media video released November 3, 2025. Social Media/via REUTERS