Skip to main content

Rubio emphasizes importance of Sudan ceasefire in call with UAE counterpart

By Daphne Psaledakis

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio emphasized the importance of achieving a humanitarian ceasefire in Sudan in a call with United Arab Emirates Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed on Friday, just days after Washington's top diplomat said action was needed to cut off the flow of weapons to the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces.

Displaced Sudanese gather and sit in makeshift tents after fleeing Al-Fashir city in Darfur, in Tawila, Sudan, October 29, 2025, in this still image taken from a Reuters' video. REUTERS/Mohamed Jamal

Trump likely to sell F-35 fighters to Saudis, Bloomberg News reports

-U.S. President Donald Trump is expected to reach a deal with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman allowing Riyadh to acquire F-35 stealth fighter jets, Bloomberg News reported on Friday, citing a White House official.

Trump and the crown prince plan to sign economic and defense agreements during a visit to the White House scheduled for Tuesday, the report added.

Reuters could not immediately verify the report.

(Reporting by Bipasha Dey in Bengaluru)

U.S. Marine Corps F-35 fighter jets are parked on the tarmac at the former Roosevelt Roads Naval Station in Ceiba, Puerto Rico, November 1, 2025. REUTERS/Ricardo Arduengo

UN Security Council to vote Monday on Trump Gaza plan

The UN Security Council will vote Monday on a resolution endorsing US President Donald Trump's Gaza peace plan, diplomats said.

Last week the Americans officially launched negotiations within the 15-member Security Council on a text that would follow up on a ceasefire in the two-year war between Israel and Hamas and endorse Trump's plan.

A draft of the resolution seen Thursday by AFP "welcomes the establishment of the Board of Peace," a transitional governing body for Gaza -- that Trump would theoretically chair -- with a mandate running until the end of 2027.

The UN Security Council will vote Monday on a resolution endorsing US President Donald Trump's Gaza peace plan, diplomats say

Iran likely seized oil tanker off UAE: security firms

Iran likely seized an oil tanker that suddenly changed course towards the country's waters Friday, two security companies said, stoking concern that Tehran has resumed maritime captures after a lull.

The ship, which had left Ajman in the United Arab Emirates destined for Singapore, was heading for Iranian waters.

Ellie Shafik of Vanguard Tech told AFP the Talara had been intercepted by Iran's Revolutionary Guards (IRGC) and detained.

Palestinians return for prayers in West Bank mosque after settler attack

JERUSALEM (Reuters) -Palestinians in a village in the Israeli-occupied West Bank held weekly communal prayers on Friday after clearing insulting graffiti, broken glass and burn marks from a mosque they say was targeted by Jewish settlers amid a spike in attacks.

Villagers in Deir Istiya who cleaned up the mosque told Reuters that settlers had smashed windows, sprayed slogans insulting Islam's Prophet Mohammed and tried to torch the building in an assault on Wednesday night.

Palestinians attend Friday prayers in a mosque following an attack that local Palestinians said was carried out by Israeli settlers, in the village of Deir Istiya near Salfit in the Israeli-occupied West Bank November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Sinan Abu Mayzer

Saudi prince, eyeing defence pledge, to meet Trump after long US absence

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman will press for security guarantees while US President Donald Trump will urge him to normalise ties with Israel when the de facto Saudi ruler breaks a seven-year absence from Washington this week.

Saudi Arabia is unlikely to agree to normalisation at this stage, with Prince Mohammed's priority set for firmer US security guarantees after Israeli strikes in September on Qatar, an iron-clad US ally, rattled the wealthy Gulf region.

Trump (L) met Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Riyadh in May

Water shortage pushes Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan into energy crisis

Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan are facing an energy crisis as water levels have plummeted at the reservoirs powering their largests hydropower stations, officials said this week.

The two landlocked Central Asian countries are heavily reliant on hydropower. Both use massive Soviet-built hydropower plants for their domestic electricity output.

The water level in the reservoir connected to Tajikistan's Nurek power plant has dropped by 2.47 metres (8.1 feet) over the last year, the state utility firm told AFP on Friday.

Water in Tajikistan's Nurek reservoir (seen here in March 2024) has dropped sharply since late 2024

Cyprus urges Turkey to drop two-state demand to advance EU bid

BERLIN (Reuters) -Cyprus said on Friday Turkey must drop its insistence on a two-state solution for the divided island if it hopes to make progress on its long-stalled bid to join the European Union.

Speaking in Berlin after talks with German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides said Turkey's position on Cyprus was an obstacle to its EU ambitions. He also argued that Ankara should not gain access to the bloc's defence fund, known as SAFE, saying that Turkey - though a NATO member - has no defence or security agreement with the EU.

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz attends a press conference with Cyprus' President Nikos Christodoulides (not pictured), at the Chancellery Berlin, Germany, November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Lisi Niesner

South Africa to probe unexpected arrival of Palestinian group

By Sfundo Parakozov

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) -South Africa granted entry to 130 Palestinians without travel papers after initially barring them but said it will examine accusations that an unregistered organisation arranged their trip "in an irregular and irresponsible manner".

South Africa has long supported Palestinian aspirations to statehood and filed a case against Israel at the International Court of Justice in 2023 accusing it of genocide in the Gaza war. Israel has denied the accusations.

A Palestinian man, one of 130 granted entry to South Africa after initially being denied for not meeting immigration requirements, walks with his child after speaking to Reuters at an undisclosed location in Johannesburg, South Africa, November 14, 2025. REUTERS/Siphiwe Sibeko

Tens of thousands of displaced people missing in Sudan's Darfur, UN says

By Emma Farge

GENEVA (Reuters) -Tens of thousands of people who have fled the Sudanese city of al-Fashir are unaccounted for, the U.N. refugee agency said on Friday, raising concerns for their safety after reports of rape, killings and other abuses from escapees.

Famine-stricken al-Fashir was the final stronghold of the Sudanese army in the vast, western Darfur region before it fell to the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces on October 26 after an 18-month siege.

FILE PHOTO: Injured displaced Sudanese people who fled violence in al-Fashir receive treatment at a makeshift clinic run by Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF), amid ongoing clashes between the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) and the Sudanese army, in Tawila, North Darfur, Sudan November 3, 2025. REUTERS/Mohamed Jamal//File Photo