Skip to main content

Israeli forces kill two Palestinians in West Bank who appeared to be surrendering

By Ali Sawafta

JENIN (Reuters) -Israeli security forces shot two Palestinian men on Thursday who appeared to be surrendering and unarmed during a raid in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, Palestine TV news footage showed.

In the footage, the men are seen exiting a building surrounded by armed Israeli forces in the northern West Bank city of Jenin, lifting their shirts and lying on the ground in an apparent surrender. The forces then appeared to direct the men back inside the building before opening fire at close range.

Israeli soldiers take position during a raid in Jenin in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, November 27, 2025. REUTERS/Mohamad Torokman

Nobel winner says 'permanently' barred from leaving Iran

Iranian Nobel Peace Prize winner Narges Mohammadi on Thursday said she was permanently barred from leaving Iran, in a birthday message to her teenage twins who she has not seen for over a decade.

Mohammadi, 53, had been in prison for over three years until her release in December last year for a limited period on medical leave.

Her legal team has warned she could be re-arrested and sent back to jail at any time, and she is not able to leave the country.

Mohammadi urged Iranians to report abuses

'Relaxed' Norris raring to go in Qatar after Las Vegas disqualification

Lando Norris insisted Thursday he was feeling calm and composed ahead of the Qatar Grand Prix where he could win his first drivers' world championship title.

Unperturbed by the double disqualification of himself and McLaren team-mate and title rival Oscar Piastri in Las Vegas last weekend, the 26-year-old Briton told reporters he was completely at ease ahead of this weekend's showdown.

"I feel as relaxed now as I was before when I was 35 points behind and I feel the same when I'm 24 points ahead," Norris said.

McLaren's British driver Lando Norris only needs to out-score Oscar Piastri and Max Verstappen by two points to win the Formula One drivers' title this weekend

What we know about Afghan national suspected of shooting two Guardsmen near White House

By Julia Harte and Lucia Mutikani

-From battlefields in Afghanistan to a scenic home in the Pacific Northwest, Rahmanullah Lakanwal had followed a promising path before Wednesday, when U.S. authorities say he shottwo National Guard soldiers blocks from the White House.

Lakanwal, 29, drove across the country from his homein the state of Washington, said Jeanine Pirro, U.S. Attorney for Washington, D.C., at a news conference on Thursday. He lived in Bellingham, acoastal city near Canada's border, with his wife and five children.

Pictures of National Guard members Andrew Wolfe and Sarah Beckstrom, who were shot on November 26 in Washington, are displayed next to a picture of the suspect of the shooting, Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, on the day of a press conference with FBI Director Kash Patel, U.S. Attorney for D.C. Jeanine Pirro and other authorities, in Washington, D.C., U.S., November 27, 2025. REUTERS/Nathan Howard

Israel launches new strikes in south Lebanon on ceasefire anniversary

The Israeli military carried out a fresh series of strikes against Hezbollah in southern Lebanon on Thursday, exactly a year into a ceasefire with the militant group.

Lebanon's state-run National News Agency said Israeli aircraft launched "a series of raids on Al-Mahmoudiya and Al-Jarmak", just north of the Litani River.

The November 27, 2024 ceasefire sought to end over a year of hostilities between the two sides.

Smoke rising from the site of an Israeli air strike in southern Lebanon

Sally Rooney says UK ban on Palestine Action could force her books off shelves

LONDON (Reuters) -Irish novelist Sally Rooney said Britain's decision to ban pro-Palestinian group Palestine Action as a terrorist organisation could stop her receiving royalties and even lead to her books being withdrawn from sale due to her support for the group.

The bestselling author said in a witness statement made public on Thursday, the second day of a legal bid to overturn the ban, that production company Element Pictures had expressed concern that paying her royalties could be a crime.

FILE PHOTO: Author Sally Rooney poses for a photograph ahead of the announcement of the winner of the Costa Book Awards 2018 in London, Britain, January 29, 2019 REUTERS/Henry Nicholls/File Photo

After meeting Pope, Erdogan praises his 'astute stance' on Palestinian issue

ANKARA (Reuters) -Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan praised Pope Leo's stance on the Palestinian issue after meeting him in Ankara on Thursday, and said he hoped his first overseas visit as Catholic leader will benefit humanity at a time of tension and uncertainty.

"We commend (Pope Leo's) astute stance on the Palestinian issue," Erdogan said in an address to the Pope and political and religious leaders at the presidential library in the Turkish capital Ankara.

Pope Leo XIV and Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan shake hands as they meet at the Presidential Palace, during the pope's first apostolic journey, in Ankara, Turkey, November 27, 2025. REUTERS/Umit Bektas

Israel launches new strikes in south Lebanon on ceasefire anniversary

The Israeli military said it had carried out another series of strikes against Hezbollah in southern Lebanon on Thursday, exactly a year into the ceasefire with the militant group.

Lebanon's state-run National News Agency said Israeli aircraft launched "a series of raids on Al-Mahmoudiya and Al-Jarmak in the Jezzine area".

The Israeli military "struck and dismantled Hezbollah terror infrastructure in several areas in southern Lebanon", it said in a statement.

Smoke rising from the site of an Israeli air strike in southern Lebanon

Tunisia frees prominent lawyer Sonia Dahmani, a critic of the president

TUNIS (Reuters) -Tunisia released on Thursday prominent lawyer and human-rights advocate Sonia Dahmani, a vocal critic of President Kais Saied, after she spent a year-and-a-half in prison over comments in which she criticized Saied’s policies.

Dahmani is widely seen as one of the leading voices defending freedom in Tunisia, and her arrest brought a wave of solidarity from lawyers and civil-society activists, who said the case carried a political dimension.

Lawyers carry banners during a protest against the arrest of Sonia Dahmani, a prominent lawyer critical of the president, outside the Palace of Justice building in Tunis, Tunisia May 13, 2024. REUTERS/Jihed Abidellaoui

Afghans say last path to safety shuts as US halts visas after DC shooting

By Saeed Shah

KABUL/ISLAMABAD (Reuters) -Afghans who fled the Taliban and have waited years for a U.S. resettlement decision say their last path to safety has shut since Washington froze all Afghan immigration cases following a shooting near the White House.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) said late on Wednesday it had halted processing for Afghan nationals indefinitely, hours after an Afghan man shot and critically wounded two National Guard soldiers in Washington.

A member of the U.S. Secret Service stands guard in a cordoned-off area after two National Guard members were reportedly shot near the White House in Washington, D.C., U.S., November 26, 2025. REUTERS/Nathan Howard