Skip to main content

Philippines confirms visit by alleged Bondi gunmen amid terrorism concerns

MANILA, Dec 16 (Reuters) - The Philippines Bureau of Immigration ​said on Tuesday that the ​two alleged gunmen behind the mass shooting at Sydney's Bondi ⁠Beach travelled to the Philippines on November 1 aboard Philippine Airlines Flight PR212 from Sydney to Manila and ​onward to Davao.

A spokesperson for the bureau ‍said that Sajid Akram, ​50, an Indian national and Australian resident, travelled on an Indian passport, while his son Naveed Akram, 24, an Australian national, used an Australian passport. Both arrived ⁠together on that flight.

Police officers stand guard outside the house of the suspects of a shooting incident on a Jewish holiday celebration at Bondi Beach, in Bonnyrigg, Sydney, Australia, December 15, 2025. REUTERS/Alasdair Pal/File Photo

Sudan once again tops International Rescue Committee crises watchlist

WASHINGTON, Dec 16 (Reuters) - Sudan has once again topped a watchlist ​of global humanitarian crises released ​by the International Rescue Committee (IRC) aid organization, as warring sides press ⁠on with a conflict that has killed tens of thousands of people.

It is the third time in a row Sudan has ​headed the list, which was published on Tuesday. ‍It highlights the 20 countries ​most at risk of new or worsened humanitarian emergencies.

FILE PHOTO: Sudan's army soldiers celebrate after entering Wad Madani, in Sudan, January 12, 2025. REUTERS/El Tayeb Siddig/File Photo

Antisemitism allowed to fester in Australia, says daughter of wounded Holocaust survivor

By Christine Chen and Tom Bateman

SYDNEY, Dec 16 (Reuters) - Government authorities have not done enough to stamp ​out hatred of Jews in Australia, which has allowed ​it to fester in the aftermath of October 7, said the daughter of a Holocaust survivor who was wounded ⁠at the Bondi shootings on Sunday.

Victoria Teplitsky, 53, a retired childcare centre owner, said that the father and son who allegedly went on a 10-minute shooting spree that killed 15 people had been "taught ​to hate," which was a bigger factor in the attack than access to guns.

Members of the Jewish community sit near the floral tribute at Bondi Beach to honour the victims of a mass shooting targeting a Hanukkah celebration on Sunday at Bondi Beach, in Sydney, Australia, December 16, 2025. REUTERS/Jeremy Piper

Australia police says Bondi attack gunmen travelled to Philippines

SYDNEY, Dec 16 (Reuters) - ​Australian police ​said on ⁠Tuesday that the two alleged gunmen behind ​the mass ‍shooting at ​Sydney's Bondi Beach travelled to the Philippines ⁠last month, and that the reasons for their trip were under investigation.

Police said ​initial investigations ⁠suggested ⁠the gunmen could have been inspired by the ideologies ‌of the ​Islamic State, adding they found two homemade Islamic ‍State flags in a vehicle ‌used by ‌one of the men.

(Reporting by Renju Jose in Sydney; ⁠Editing by Jamie Freed)

Police officers enter a tent at the scene of a shooting during a Jewish holiday celebration at Bondi Beach, in Sydney, Australia, December 15, 2025. REUTERS/Hollie Adams/File Photo

Famed Jerusalem stone still sells despite West Bank economic woes

Despite the catastrophic state of the Palestinian economy, Faraj al-Atrash, operator of a quarry in the occupied West Bank, proudly points to an armada of machines busy eating away at sheer walls of dusty white rock that stretch into the distance.

"This here is considered the main source of revenue for the entire region", Atrash said at the site near the town of Beit Fajjar, close to the city of Hebron.

Quarry work in the occupied West Bank is tough, but there are few other options available in the territory's wilting economy

Sydney mourns 15 killed as Israeli ambassador calls for greater Jewish protection

By Christine Chen and Renju Jose

SYDNEY, Dec 16 (Reuters) - Israel's ambassador to Australia has called for greater protection of Jewish people in Australia as dozens of people lined up ​on Tuesday at Sydney's Bondi Beach to pay tribute to the 15 victims and those ​wounded in the weekend's Hanukkah festival shootings.

The attack by two gunmen on Sunday was Australia's worst mass shooting in nearly 30 years, and is being investigated as an act of terrorism targeting the ⁠Jewish community.

People pay respects at Bondi Pavilion to victims of a shooting during a Jewish holiday celebration at Bondi Beach, in Sydney, Australia, December 15, 2025. REUTERS/Hollie Adams

Yemen's main separatist group says it launched military operation in Abyan

DUBAI, Dec ​15 (Reuters) - ​Yemen's ⁠main separatist group, the ​Southern ‍Transitional ​Council, said they ⁠have launched a military operation ​in ⁠southern ⁠Abyan province.

The STC has ‌recently ​claimed broad control of ‍Southern Yemen.

(Reporting ‌by ‌Ahmed Elimam; Editing by ⁠Sharon Singleton)

Forces of Yemen's main separatist group, the Southern Transitional Council, arrive in a mountainous area where they are launching a military operation in the southern province of Abyan, Yemen, December 15, 2025. REUTERS/Stringer

In Israel, Sydney attack casts shadow over Hanukkah

With heavy hearts, Jews in Israel lit the year's first Hanukkah candles, mourning after gunmen opened fire on a Jewish gathering in Australia, killing 15 and reviving painful memories of the October 7, 2023 attack.

Sunday's attack in Bondi Beach was Australia's worst mass shooting in decades, and has been decried as antisemitic "terrorism" by Israeli authorities and many others around the world.

Hours after the shooting in Bondi Beach, a candlelight vigil was held on a beach in Tel Aviv where mourners lit candles

ICC rejects Israeli bid to halt Gaza war investigation

THE HAGUE, Dec 15 (Reuters) - Appeals judges at the ​International Criminal Court (ICC) on Monday ​rejected one in a series of legal challenges brought ⁠by Israel against the court's probe into its conduct of theGaza war.

On appeal, judges refused to overturn a ​lower court decision that the prosecution's investigation ‍into alleged crimes under its ​jurisdiction could include events following the deadly attack on Israel by militant Palestinian group Hamas on October 7, 2023.

FILE PHOTO: The exterior of the International Criminal Court is seen in The Hague, Netherlands, September 22, 2025. REUTERS/Piroschka van de Wouw/File Photo

Iran Nobel winner unwell after 'violent' arrest: supporters

Iranian Nobel Peace Prize winner Narges Mohammadi was taken to hospital twice after being violently arrested last week, her supporters said Monday, following a telephone call with the campaigner that raised concerns about her physical condition.

Mohammadi, who won the 2023 Nobel prize, was detained Friday after addressing a memorial ceremony in the eastern city of Mashhad for lawyer Khosrow Alikordi, who was found dead earlier this month.

Narges Mohammadi has not seen her children for eight years