Skip to main content

Hamas fighters tighten grip in Gaza, clouding future of ceasefire

By Nidal al-Mughrabi and Maayan Lubell

CAIRO/JERUSALEM (Reuters) -Hamas fighters tightened their grip in Gaza on Tuesday after carrying out public executions, defying Israel's assertion that war cannot end under U.S. President Donald Trump's plan until the militants are disarmed.

Palestinians sit next to a tent, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, in Gaza City, October 14, 2025. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas

Afghan man jailed for threat to kill Reform UK leader Farage in TikTok video

LONDON (Reuters) -An Afghan national was jailed for five years on Tuesday after he was found guilty of making a threat to kill Nigel Farage, the leader of the populist Reform UK party which leads opinion polls in Britain.

Fayaz Khan was last week convicted by a jury at London's Southwark Crown Court of a single count of making a threat to kill Farage in a TikTok video posted in October 2024.

Nigel Farage, leader of Britain’s Reform UK party, arrives to attend the sentencing of Fayaz Khan, who was earlier found guilty of making a threat in a TikTok video to kill Farage, at Southwark Crown Court  in London, Britain, October 14, 2025. REUTERS/Toby Melville

Factbox-Clans and armed groups challenging Hamas in Gaza

GAZA (Reuters) -As the Gaza war dragged on, a diminished Hamas faced growing internal challenges to its control of Gaza from long-standing rivals, many of them affiliated with powerful local clans.

Since Friday's ceasefire took hold, Hamas has sought to reassert itself, killing dozens of opponents in a crackdown after appearing to get a U.S. nod to temporarily police the shattered enclave.

The following are some of the key clans and figures whose members have clashed with Hamas forces over the past two years.

ABU SHABAB CLAN

A drone view shows people gathering at Nasser hospital as they welcome freed Palestinian prisoners released by Israel as part of a hostages-prisoners swap and a ceasefire deal between Hamas and Israel, in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Stringer     TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY

Iran says US president's invitation to dialogue is contradictory

DUBAI (Reuters) -Iran's foreign ministry on Tuesday criticised U.S. President Donald Trump's call for dialogue, accusing Washington of "hostile and criminal behaviour" after his remarks to Israel's parliament about being ready to strike a deal with Tehran.

The ministry said in a statement that Trump's call for peace is in conflict with his actions towards Iran.

"Mr. Trump can either be a President of Peace or a President of War, but he cannot be both at the same time," Iran's Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi said in a separate comment on X on Tuesday.

FILE PHOTO: Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi meets with Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri (unseen), in Beirut, Lebanon, June 3, 2025. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir/File Photo

Returning hostage bodies from Gaza may take time, Red Cross says

GENEVA (Reuters) -The International Committee of the Red Cross said on Tuesday that it will take time to hand over the remains of hostages and detainees killed in the Israel-Hamas war, calling it a "massive challenge" given the difficulties of finding bodies amid Gaza's rubble.

"That's an even bigger challenge than having the people alive being released. That's a massive challenge," said the ICRC's spokesperson Christian Cardon, adding it could take days or weeks and that there was a possibility they were never found.

(Reporting by Emma FargeEditing by Ludwig Burger)

A drone view shows Palestinians walking past the rubble, following Israeli forces' withdrawal from the area, in Gaza City, October 11. REUTERS/Dawoud Abu Alkas

UN, Red Cross demand opening of all Gaza crossings to let in aid

The United Nations and the international Red Cross called on Tuesday for all crossings into Gaza to be opened to allow desperately needed aid into the Israeli-blockaded Palestinian territory.

The fragile truce in war-ravaged Gaza, introduced under US President Donald Trump's plan, needs to see crossings opened to flood the famine-hit territory with aid, they said.

Israel's total blockade of Gaza has led to famine in the Palestinian territory

Kremlin says it welcomes Trump's desire to focus on search for peace in Ukraine after Gaza ceasefire

MOSCOW (Reuters) -The Kremlin on Tuesday said it welcomed U.S. President Donald Trump's desire to focus on the search for a peace settlement to end the conflict in Ukraine after achieving a ceasefire in Gaza.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters that Russia remained open to talks and hoped that the U.S. could bring its influence to bear on Ukraine in pursuit of a peace deal.

(Reporting by Reuters, Writing by Felix LightEditing by Andrew Osborn)

FILE PHOTO: U.S. President Donald Trump speaks during a cabinet meeting at the White House in Washington, D.C., U.S., October 9, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/File Photo

UN says states willing to fund Gaza's $70 billion rebuild

GENEVA (Reuters) -There are promising early indications from countries, including the United States as well as Arab and European states, about their willingness to contribute to the $70 billion cost of rebuilding Gaza, a United Nations Development Programme official said on Tuesday.

“We’ve had very good indications already," UNDP's Jaco Cilliers told reporters at a press conference in Geneva, without giving details. He estimated that the two-year Israel-Hamas war had generated at least 55 million tons of rubble.

(Reporting by Emma FargeEditing by Madeline Chambers)

A Palestinian firefighter tries to extinguish fire at a residential building hit in an Israeli strike, amid an Israeli military operation, in Gaza City September 22, 2025. REUTERS/Ebrahim Hajjaj

Israel says it opens fire on suspects in Gaza, local authorities report six killed

(Reuters) -Israel's military said it opened fire on Tuesday to remove a threat posed by suspects who approached its forces in the northern Gaza Strip, and health authorities in the enclave said at least six Palestinians had been killed by Israeli fire.

The military said the suspects had crossed a boundary for an initial Israeli pullback under a U.S.-brokered ceasefire plan, in a violation of the deal.

Gaza's local health authority said the Israeli military killed six Palestinians in two separate incidents across the enclave on Tuesday.

Military vehicles surround Israeli soldiers near the Israel-Gaza border, amid a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas in Gaza, in southern Israel, October 12, 2025. REUTERS/Ammar Awad

Analysis-Trump convinced Netanyahu to take a deal. Can he keep him onboard?

By Gram Slattery, Alexander Cornwell and Humeyra Pamuk

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -U.S. President Donald Trump, a self-proclaimed peacemaker who has campaigned for a Nobel Prize, finally got a camera-ready diplomatic victory on Monday as world leaders flew to Egypt for the signing of the ceasefire and hostage-release deal he brokered between Israel and Hamas.

But if lasting peace is to take root, analysts and diplomats say, Trump will have to maintain pressure on the man whose support he'll need in the next phases of his plan: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

U.S. President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu stand at the Knesset on the day Trump addresses it, amid a U.S.-brokered prisoner-hostage swap and ceasefire deal between Israel and Hamas, in Jerusalem, October 13, 2025. REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein/Pool