Egyptian Authorities Question 17 In Terror Cell Probe

Author
p
Article Summary
Egyptian authorities questioned 17 suspects last week in connection with an alleged terror cell in Nasr City, Al-Masry Al-Youm reports. Authorities were examining how the suspects could have amassed large stockpiles of weapons outside Cairo.

Security sources closely involved in the investigation of a “terrorist cell” discovered last Wednesday [Oct. 24] in Nasr City and which resulted in the death of a terrorist and the burning of a building said that the Emergency Supreme State Security Court (ESSSC) will resume its investigation today [Oct. 29].

The sources said that the ESSSC renewed the imprisonment of eight arrested suspects, among them three Egyptians who denied the charges brought against them. In spite of this, investigations have confirmed the suspects’ connection with the dead person and communications between them via e-mail and chat rooms during the past months.

The ESSSC, headed by Judge Tamer al-Fergani, requested the examination reports submitted by the forensic and medical teams. It also received the investigation reports on the incident presented by the Nasr City General Prosecution.

A security source said that the Cairo Security Directorate has submitted its reports on the defendants. The source added that the National Security Service received the case documents after coordinating with the Public Security Bureau and the Criminal Investigation Department.

The source said that the two bodies are continuing their investigations of the suspects, whose numbers have reached 17 in four governorates: Cairo, Alexandria, al-Gharbiyah and al-Qalyubia.

The source said that the dead gunman arrived in Cairo 11 months ago and stayed in three furnished apartments he had rented. The source added that the authorities coordinated with the Department of Immigration to find out the arrival times of the other suspects, which include three Tunisians, one Libyan national and four Egyptians, at Cairo International Airport.

According to the source, the investigations indicate that the seized weapons may have been purchased from the Sinai or smuggled across the Libyan-Egyptian border. He said that smuggling suspects have not been arrested yet, and that their records and relation to the defendants are under investigation, in addition to information indicating the presence of terrorist elements in the governorate of South Sinai.

The source said that the National Security Agency has detained three Palestinians, aged between 24 and 35 years, who arrived in Cairo in the past two days, to investigate the reason for their entering the country and their places of residence.

Continue reading this article by registering at no cost and get unlimited access to:

  • The award-winning Middle East Lobbying - The Influence Game
  • Archived articles
  • Exclusive events
  • The Week in Review
  • Lobbying newsletter delivered weekly
Found in: war, terrorism, security, nasr city, crime, al-qaeda
Next for you
x

The website uses cookies and similar technologies to track browsing behavior for adapting the website to the user, for delivering our services, for market research, and for advertising. Detailed information, including the right to withdraw consent, can be found in our Privacy Policy. To view our Privacy Policy in full, click here. By using our site, you agree to these terms.

Accept