Qatar Sends Billions, Hoping For an Islamic Regime in Libya
Author: alkhabar Posted August 3, 2012
The head of the Libyan National Transitional Council, Mustafa Abdul Jalil, said the Qatari government has spent more than $2 billion on the Libyan revolution. This statement was made in a meeting held alongside lectures for “cultural season,” an event held in celebration of Ramadan in Al-Baida City.
Media reports quoted Abdul Jalil as saying, “Doha has been supporting Islamic movements as part of its vision to help establish an Arab regime that adopts Islamic Shariah law as a main source of governance.”
Abdul Jalil said that Qatari involvement in Libya is currently low, adding that he “always said that anyone who denied the role Qatar played [in the Libyan revolution] is ungrateful.” He continued, “Nobody traveled to Qatar without being given a sum of money by the government; some handed over the money to the country while others kept it for themselves.”
A report published by Harvard University yesterday warned of the danger posed by Muammar Gadhafi’s abandoned arsenals. These are located in residential areas, and without proper safeguards, pose a serious threat to civilian lives.
“These weapons may have been abandoned, but their ability to harm civilians remains intact,” said Bonnie Docherty, head of the research team sent by Harvard Law School and partner organization CIVIC, after her visit to Libya. The report clarified that weapons left behind after last year's conflict range from bullets and mortars to torpedoes and surface-to-air missiles.
Concerning the Iranian Red Crescent delegation which was kidnapped in Benghazi on Tuesday [July 31], Tehran has demanded the immediate release of the delegation’s seven members and said it will hold the Libyan government responsible for their safety.
Read More: http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/security/01/08/report-warns-about-a-serious-thr.html